Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Babies and colds.


Hi.  It has been a while.  I didn't mean it to be so long. Or, maybe I did.  We've been in the trenches, so to speak.  It comes about every now and then, usually in the winter.  Sickness strikes.  This time it was a little mean.

There is something about being a mother and having a sick child.  Especially when it's your first, there's this psycho need to be aware of every little thing, monitoring exactly how many feedings to wet diapers, to flush to fever, to oh my goodness are they going to survive?!  I was blessed to have amazing women go before who encouraged, instructed, and also laughed hysterically at my concern and inexperience.

Sometimes it is more than just a cold and more than just croup and you end up in the hospital.  I remember when I was a new mom feeling so annoyed when people would tell me I'd know when it was serious, I'd know when it was time to take action.  It takes a little while to learn your child, but you do.  You learn what their cries mean, you learn their language, you know what they're thinking or what they're up to maybe even before they've completely thought it out, because every day you are studying them.  It just happens.

If you are anything like me, you are also researching every sniffle and home remedy out there.  I love the internet.  I love finding a million cures.  I also love that I knew what to do for croup, long before my daughter had it, because I'd googled coughs when my son was four months old.  I am an expert at coughs.

This last little round had me pulling a couple of all nighters.  I have to admit that I kind of love them.  I love staying up with my sleeping baby, holding them upright so they can pull in full breaths.  I brew a big cup of coffee and put on Gilmore Girls.  There is something so special about Gilmore Girls in the middle of the night.  I used to watch it when Judah was first born and would literally nurse from 1-5.  Thank God I finally put him in bed with me.   But, I miss those Gilmore nights and happily relive them when my babies are sick.

I'm happy to say that we are on the mend.  We've survived this first bout of illness and we'll survive any to come.  I'll miss those quiet days cuddling on the couch and the stillness of the nights.  But, I prefer our health.  I am eager to throw myself into this Holiday Season and embrace the joys of each small memory.

To your health and joy this Christmas.  May you be fully blessed!

No comments: