Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine





Growing up on a working ranch, my grandmother used to tell me that it was important for any woman to be able to go from mucking stalls to pearls and high heels. Owning whatever role you find yourself in without hesitancy is an incredible gift. I'm still learning, though it was modeled beautifully in all of the women who've gone before me. I am thankful for the footsteps they left behind.
My purpose for this blog is to simply share moments from my life and day that will hopefully inspire and encourage. It can be a difficult season this thing called motherhood, when you have little ones draped over you like a fine fur, hands poking holes in your cake, little feet treading mud over your freshly vacuumed rug. . . I'm learning how the moments are the joys of my life, they are my purpose for being.
For years I've lived either in the future or the past. I'd daydream about tomorrow, fantasizing that it were already here, or I'd regret all the things in the past that I didn't appreciate at the time, wishing I were back in the good ol' days. Just recently this realization hit me like a baby grand from a six floor window. I'm so busy living before or after, but never in my day. This blog is to the here and now. It is absolutely incredible. I've been shifting my thinking more and more which has enabled me to enjoy the moments like this -


Valentines Day we were at a restaurant, well before the rush, and my daughter decided that she was done. Standing on my lap while I shoveled my food into my mouth (because I do, I shovel, or I don't eat) she spotted a cat outside the door and began to shriek "KIKI KIKI!!" and point. Judah, realizing there was a cat outside, needed to see it as well. Off we went, leaving Eric to leisurely finish his meal and headed out to pet the cats. As we opened the door it started to rain. I was cold and realized all I wanted was to be back eating dinner with just Eric, but! this was a moment and I decided to take it. We marched out to find those cats. Spurning the sweet one by the door for the cat that wanted nothing to do with us. We hunted under the picnic tables, through the ivy and high on the fence while the rain tap danced on the tin coverings over the patio.We frolicked slowly down the gravel path, jumped in mud puddles, kissed the kitty by the door and made it back just as Eric signed the bill. I was given the perfect Valentines gift.
My moment.

No comments: